Follow Akron Tennis on Twitter (@ZipsWTEN) and Facebook
Head Coach Brandon Padgett Post-Match Video and Highlights
AKRON, Ohio – Angelina Jogasuria posted a three-set, last-match-on-court comeback win at No. 1 singles to give The University of Akron women's tennis team a 4-3 decision over 69th-ranked Oregon on Sunday at LaTuchie Tennis Center. The Zips have won in four-straight outings and improved to 5-5 in dual-match play, while ending the Ducks' eight-match win steak.
Jogasuria got the best of Patricia Skowronski 4-6, 7-5, 6-2 to clinch match point and give UA its first win over a ranked opponent since defeating No. 56 Dartmouth 6-1 on Feb. 24, 2012. After falling behind 3-2 in the second set, Jogasuria rallied to go up 4-3, then was down 5-4 before taking the 7-5 win. She came back from a 2-1 deficit in the third set. Skowronski is ranked 101st nationally in singles.
After claiming the doubles point thanks to wins at the first and third flights, Akron fell behind 3-1 in the match scoring as Oregon won in order at Nos. 6, 2 and 3 singles in straight sets. Ksenia Berestetska helped the Zips pull to within 3-2 when she posted a 6-4, 6-0 win over Lana Buttner at No. 5, and then Olga Shkundina took No. 4 singles 6-1, 1-6, 6-1 to make the score 3-all.
In doubles, UA's pair of Prang Pantusart and Jogasuria, ranked 43rd nationally, won 8-4 at No. 1 over Skowronski and Nicole Long. At No. 3, the Zips' duo of Shkundina and Berestetska took care of Sofia Hager and Brooke Hughes, 8-5.
The Ducks (8-1) represented the sixth nationally-ranked foe the Zips have faced this season.
Akron takes to the road next weekend, competing at New Jersey Institute of Technology on Saturday at 1 p.m. ET and Columbia on Sunday at 11 a.m.
Zips Notebook: Akron posted its second-straight 4-3 victory by way of a last-match-on-court, three-set decision ... on Friday, the Zips topped East Tennessee State 4-3 thanks to Olga Shkundina's three-set win at No. 4 singles ... three of UA's five wins this season have been by a score of 4-3 ... Prang Pantusart and Angelina Jogasuria improved to 8-0 at No. 1 doubles ... Angelina Jogasuria improved to 3-0 at No. 1 singles, playing at that spot in the lineup for the third-straight match ... Jogasuria is 7-3 overall in singles, having played at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots as well ... Ksenia Berestetska won her sixth-consecutive singles match, four of those at the No. 5 position in the lineup ... today was the first time the Zips and Ducks have met on the tennis court.
Akron 4, (69) Oregon 3
1. (43) Prang Pantusart/Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. Patricia Skowronski/Nicole Long (Oregon) 8-4
2. Julia Metzger/Lana Buttner (Oregon) def. Madison Cohen/Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 8-3
3. Olga Shkundina/Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Sofia Hager/Brooke Hughes (Oregon) 8-5
1. Angelina Jogasuria (Akron) def. (101) Patricia Skowronski (Oregon) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
2. Nicole Long (Oregon) def. Prang Pantusart (Akron) 6-2, 6-1
3. Julia Metzger (Oregon) def. Angelika Jogasuria (Akron) 6-3, 6-1
4. Olga Shkundina (Akron) def. Sofia Hager (Oregon) 6-1, 1-6, 6-1
5. Ksenia Berestetska (Akron) def. Lana Buttner (Oregon) 6-4, 6-0
6. Rabea Stueckemann (Oregon) def. Madison Cohen (Akron) 6-2, 6-2
Order of finish:
Doubles – 2, 3, 1
Singles – 6, 2, 3, 5, 4, 1
Akron – 5-5
Oregon – 8-1