AKRON, Ohio – With its 6-1 win over Bowling Green at the LaTuchie Tennis Center on Sunday afternoon, the Akron women's tennis team remained undefeated in Mid-American Conference play with its 22nd consecutive victory.
The Zips improved to 23-2 overall and a perfect 7-0 in MAC play, while the Falcons fell to 5-12 overall and 1-4 in the MAC.
"Everyone played well today for us," said head coach Brandon Padgett. "We continue to learn with each match, and that is extremely important, regardless of wins or losses."
"Celebrating the careers of Karolina and Shannon was a wonderful experience today, but also a difficult one. They both mean so much to this program, and to me personally, that it was hard to look at them while talking, or I know that I would have broken down. Their contributions are much more than just the wins they've been a part of, and they will leave a lasting imprint on this program, and on me."
In doubles action, junior Ariadna Blinova (Riga, Latvia) and junior Sophia Geier (Burgebrach, Germany) beat Polina Radeva and Ayumi Sasaki, 6-3. UA won the doubles point as BGSU did not field a team at the No. 3 spot.
In singles action, the Zips swept five of six matches.
At the No. 1 singles spot, Geier (28-3 overall, 6-1 MAC) picked up her sixth MAC win, beating Paula Comella in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3.
At. No. 2 singles, Blinova (24-10 overall, 5-2 MAC) defeated Polina Radeva, 6-2, 7-5.
At the No. 4 singles spot, Newnes remained unbeaten in singles action (13-0, 7-0 MAC) this spring with a 6-0, 7-5 win over Ayumi Sasaki.
Sophomore Luisa Echeverry (Cali, Colombia) defeated Emily Witt, 6-0, 6-3, at the No. 5 spot.
In the final regular-season match, Akron visits defending MAC champion Ball State (19-2 overall, 7-0 MAC) on Saturday, April 22, in a 1 p.m. match in a battle for the MAC regular-season championship. Both teams are undefeated in conference play.
"With this match in our rear view mirror, we now turn our focus toward defending champion Ball State, and the challenge that they present to us," Padgett said. "We are excited to be in this position, and have worked hard to get to this point in the season. I know that we will be well prepared."
AKRON 6, BOWLING GREEN 1
LaTuchie Tennis Center
April 16, 2017
1. Marharita-Sophia Tavpash/Paula Comella (BGSU) def. Carli Knezevich/Karolina Maksimova, 6-4
2. Ariadna Blinova/Sophia Geier (UA) def. Polina Radeva/Ayumi Sasaki, 6-3
3. Shannon Newnes/Rita Pedroso (UA), won via forfeit (no BGSU players, incomplete line-up)
1. Sophia Geier (UA) def. Paula Comella, 6-1, 6-3
2. Ariadna Blinova (UA) def. Polina Radeva, 6-2, 7-5
3. Marharita-Sophia Tavpash (BGSU) def. Rita Pedroso, 1-6, 7-5, 1-0 (3)
4. Shannon Newnes (UA) def. Ayumi Sasaki, 6-0, 7-5
5. Luisa Echeverry (UA) def. Emily Witt, 6-0, 6-3
6. Carli Knezevich (UA) won via forfeit (no BGSU player, incomplete line-up)
Order of Finish:
Doubles– 3, 2, 1
Singles– 6, 5, 1, 2, 4, 3
Akron (23-2, 7-0 MAC)
Bowling Green (5-12, 14 MAC)