CLEVELAND, Ohio – The University of Akron women's tennis team ended the final day of the Cleveland State Viking Invitational on a high note on Sunday, Oct. 9 at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
The Zips captured four out of the six singles matches against Cleveland State. At the No. 1 spot, junior Sophia Geier (Burgebrach, Germany) defeated Isabella Spindler, 6-3, 6-3 while Ariadna Blinova (Riga, Latvia) claimed a tight 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (4) decision over Aleksandra Golawska at No. 2 singles.
Luisa Echeverry (Cali, Columbia), who went undefeated in singles action this weekend, took down Victoria Bensimon, 6-3, 7-6 (5) at No. 4. Junior Carli Knezevich (Austin, Texas) notched a 6-4, 6-3 triumph versus Blanche Lenoan in No. 6 singles.
"Today we played with tired legs, but still competed extremely hard," said head coach Brandon Padgett. "I am happy that we came away winning six out of nine total matches today. Overall, I am very pleased with how we played this weekend from start to finish."
Akron took two of the three matches in doubles play as No. 1 duo of Geier and Blinova handed Kylie Isaacs and Julianne Herman a 6-3 decision. At No. 3 doubles, Echeverry and freshman Rita Pedroso (Porto, Portugal) beat Koralie Etienne and Laurel Shymansky, 6-3.
Blinova will head to Malibu, California to play in the 2016 Oracle/ITA Masters on October 13-16. This national collegiate championship event will be held at Pepperdine University and the Malibu Racquet Club.
Day 3 Results:
Singles: Akron vs. Cleveland State
1. Sophia Geier (UA) def. Isabella Spindler (CSU), 6-3, 6-3
2. Ariadna Blinova (UA) def. Aleksandra Golawska (CSU), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (4)
3. Jana Schober (CSU) def. Karalina Maksimava (UA), 6-7 (4), 6-3, 1-0 (6)
4. Luisa Echeverry (UA) def. Victoria Bensimon (CSU), 6-3, 7-6 (5)
5. Princess Gbadamosi (CSU) def. Rita Pedroso (UA), 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (8)
6. Carli Knezevich (UA) def. Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 6-4, 6-3
Doubles: Akron vs. Duquesne
1. Geier/Blinova (UA) def. Kylie Isaacs/Julianne Herman, (DUQ), 6-3
2. Megan Wasson/Sara Mitrovic (DUQ) def. Maksimava/Knezevich, (UA), 7-6 (5)
3. Echeverry/Pedroso (UA), def. Koralie Etienne/Laurel Shymansky, (DUQ), 6-3