CLEVELAND, Ohio – Sophomore Luisa Echeverry (Cali, Columbia) and freshman Rita Pedroso (Porto, Portugal) both went undefeated on the first day of the 2016 Viking Invitational hosted by Cleveland State University at the Medical Mutual Tennis Pavilion.
"It was a great day for us in singles play, taking four of six matches from Big 12's West Virginia," said head coach Brandon Padgett. "We looked solid during the first round of doubles, but we wore down during the second doubles round, which is to be expected based on how hard fought the singles matches were. I am excited to see how we respond tomorrow against another very strong team in Duquesne."
In singles action, Echeverry defeated West Virginia's Lyn Yuen Choo, 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (3) at the No. 4 spot while Pedroso claimed a 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (8) victory over Carolina Lewis.
In doubles against Duquesne, Ariadna Blinova (Riga, Latvia) and Geier beat Megan Wasson and Aishwarya Kona, 6-2 at the No. 2 slot. At No. 3 doubles, Echeverry and Pedroso fought to a 7-5 win over Zuzanna Stelmaszak and Sara Mitrovic.
Echeverry and Pedroso then conquered Cleveland State's Victoria Bensimon and Katy Quillin, 6-4.
Day 1 Results:
Singles: Akron vs. West Virginia
1. Habiba Shaker (WVU) def. Ariadna Blinova (UA), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (9)
2. Sophia Geier (UA) def. Paula Goetz (WVU), 7-6 (3), 6-3
3. Karalina Maksimava (UA) def. Kaja Mrgola (WVU), 6-4, 7-5
4. Luisa Echeverry (UA) def. Lyn Yuen Choo (WVU), 1-6, 6-4, 1-0 (3)
5. Rita Pedroso (UA) def. Carolina Lewis (WVU), 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (8)
6. Christina Jordan (WVU) def. Carli Knezevich (UA), 7-5, 5-7, 1-0 (1)
Doubles: Akron vs. Duquesne
1. Isaacs/Herman (DUQ) def. Maksimava/Knezevich, (UA), 6-4
2. Blinova/Geier, (UA) def. Megan Wasson/Aishwarya Kona, (DUQ), 6-2
3. Echeverry/Pedroso (UA), def. Zuzanna Stelmaszak/Sara Mitrovic, (DUQ), 7-5
Doubles: Akron vs. Cleveland State
1., Aleksandra Golawska/Isabella Spindler (CSU) def. Blinova/Geier, (UA), 6-2
2. Jana Schober/Blanche Lenoan (CSU) def. Maksimava/Knezevich, (UA), 6-4
3. Echeverry/Pedroso (UA), def. Victoria Bensimon/Katy Quillin, (CSU), 6-4