AKRON, Ohio — The University of Akron women's tennis team finished the Akron Shootout playing a round of doubles against Youngstown State and a round of singles against Cleveland State.
The Zips took four of six singles matches against the Vikings led by junior Ariadna Blinova (Riga, Latvia), who defeated Isabella Spindler, 6-3, 6-1, at the No. 1 spot.
Sophia Geier (Burgebrach, Germany) claimed a 6-0, 6-1 decision over Aleksandra Golawska at the No. 2 spot while Rita Pedroso (Porto, Portugal) took the No. 4 spot with a win over Jana Schober, 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (7). Carli Knezevich (Austin, Texas) also earned a victory at No. 5 versus Princess Gbadamosi, 6-4, 7-6 (3).
"Today we looked a little tired, which is to be expected," said head coach Brandon Padgett. "But I feel like our overall fitness is what helped push us through to a doubles record of 7-2and a singles record of 16-2 for the entire weekend. To finish 23-4 overall is exceptional work from these wonderful young ladies."
In doubles action against Youngstown State, Akron won two of the three matches. At the No. 2 spot, Knezevich and Karalina Maksimava (Mogilev, Belarus) overcame Ana Stroe and Noëlly Longi Nsimba, 6-1. At No. 3 doubles, Newnes and Pedroso beat Nehel Sahni and Elise Eckman, 6-0.
"We have work to do moving forward from an execution standpoint, but I am proud of the effort and grit we showed from start to finish," Padgett concluded. "We will continue to work together to limit our mistakes, and to highlight each players specific style of play. We have an excellent mix of players, stylistically, which is very exciting for me as a coach. I am looking forward to seeing how we progress moving forward."
Akron travels to Dayton, Ohio on Sept. 30-Oct. 1 to participate in the Wright State Invitational.
Singles Champion: Ariadna Blinova
Sunday, Sept. 25:
Singles: Youngstown State vs. Siena
1. Dominika Lackova (YSU) def. Ali Garrity (Siena), 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (6)
2. Sofia Macias (YSU) def. Mitsuki Fukamachi (Siena), 6-0, 6-2
3. Natalie Weaver (Siena) def. Noëlly Longi Nsimba (YSU), 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (7)
4. Ana Stroe (YSU) def. Rina Sakai (Siena), 6-4, 2-6, 1-0 (4)
5. Nehel Sahni (YSU) def. Juliana Goehner (Siena), 6-4, 6-2
6. Elise Eckman (YSU) def. Ann Phillips (Siena), 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (3)
Doubles: Cleveland State vs. Siena
1. Isabella Spindler/Aleksandra Golawska (CSU) def. Ali Garrity/Mitsuki Fukamachi (Siena), 6-2
2. Juliana Goehner/Anessa Leyva (Siena) def. Victoria Bensimon/Jana Schober (CSU), 7-5
3. Ann Phillips/Julia Dunbar (Siena) def. Princess Gbadamosi/Blanche Lenoan (CSU), 7-5
Doubles: Akron vs. Youngstown State
1., Lackova/Macias (YSU) def. Blinova/Geier, (UA), 7-5
2. Knezevich/Maksimava, (UA) def. Stroe/Nsimba, (YSU), 6-1
3. Newnes/Pedroso (UA), def. Sahni/Eckman, (YSU), 6-0
Singles: Akron vs. Cleveland State
1. Blinova (UA) def. Spindler, 6-3, 6-1
2. Geier (UA) def. Golawska, 6-0, 6-1
3. Bensimon (CSU) def. Maksimava, 6-1, 6-3
4. Pedroso (UA) def. Schober, 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (7)
5. Knezevich (UA) def. Gbadamosi, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
6. Lenoan (CSU) def. Newnes, 3-6, 6-4, 1-0 (2)